Nur al-Cubicle

A blog on the current crises in the Middle East and news accounts unpublished by the US press. Daily timeline of events in Iraq as collected from stories and dispatches in the French and Italian media: Le Monde (Paris), Il Corriere della Sera (Milan), La Repubblica (Rome), L'Orient-Le Jour (Beirut) and occasionally from El Mundo (Madrid).

Friday, March 31, 2006

Vaffanculo






US Supreme Court Justice ScAlito, er, Scalia, says, "Hello" from inside the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston.

Update: This is not a gesture for vaffanculo. The gesture is me ne frego meaning I Don't Give a Damn! See Scott Davie's Talking Hands page.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leila Abu-Saba said...

I'm sorry, this just cracks me up. My Italian-American friend translated vaffanculo for me exactly.

It's also depressing and sad. What our country has come to - nobody but a few bloggers thinks this behavior is offensive.

11:45 PM  
Blogger furtherleft said...

Better to have them act out what they are then to play the great game of pretending otherwise called sophistication.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Hoots said...

I inquired of a couple of savy old people where I work, one from England, the other from Italian-American roots in America, about that gesture. Both agreed that the gesture may be vulgar, but not nasty.

Now had he used both arms, putting the hand of one into the elbow crook of the other -- THAT would have qualified as nasty. Worse if the other hand had been a fist.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home