Nur al-Cubicle

A blog on the current crises in the Middle East and news accounts unpublished by the US press. Daily timeline of events in Iraq as collected from stories and dispatches in the French and Italian media: Le Monde (Paris), Il Corriere della Sera (Milan), La Repubblica (Rome), L'Orient-Le Jour (Beirut) and occasionally from El Mundo (Madrid).

Thursday, July 07, 2005

La Repubblica (continued)

I was on a train at King's Cross. We were stuck in a tunnel for one hour without news about what had happened. We then were evacuated by walking down the rail bed. Nearly impossible to use our cellphones.

Blair scared me even more. I am blocked inside my offices near Victoria Station and we have been told to pull down our shades. We hear the constant sound of ambulances. Blair's speech scared me; his voice was shaking. The entire transit system is shut down. No one knows how to get home.

The British are "No Panic" professionials. My name is Gioia and I am writing from the London School of Economics. This morning at 9:30 I was crossing the Millennium Bridge and I heard people on their cellphones talking about a transit shutdown. My British instructors told us what happend and took roll call. It feels normal but there are so many ambulance sirens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home