Mehlis Progress Report Out--And There's Nothing In It!
The bullet-points are hardly sensational:
- The investgation has been going on for 70 days.
- 243 witnesses were heard, 136 depositions were recorded and 107 memos written.
- There are still 55 witnesses to be interviewed.
- Witnesses don't want Lebanese authorities to see their depositions.
- The commission has a fair idea of Mr. Hariri's activities before the blast which killed him.
- There are some leads which may lead to the discovery of the motives of the assassins as well as their identity.
- Syria is footdragging. Bolton, of couse, raged all over that.
- Jordan and Israel say they will cooperate.