Nur al-Cubicle

A blog on the current crises in the Middle East and news accounts unpublished by the US press. Daily timeline of events in Iraq as collected from stories and dispatches in the French and Italian media: Le Monde (Paris), Il Corriere della Sera (Milan), La Repubblica (Rome), L'Orient-Le Jour (Beirut) and occasionally from El Mundo (Madrid).

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

What's Thong with Damascus?


Leila's Secret? Posted by Hello

More image shattering from those mysterious oriental bazaars in downtown Damascus. Everyone's a Haifa Wehbé when they put the chadoor away!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read Mohja Kahf on Arabic love poetry (from chaste to explicit is the subtitle). Read Sex and the Umma this week, for a Mohja story accompanied by a photo very similar to the above. Dr. Mohja blows my mind...

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Mohja Kahf was born in Damascus but lives in the States now.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Nur-al-Cubicle said...

Thanks for the links, Leila. BTW, I was trying to come up with a well-recognized Arab name for the "Victoria's Secret" implication and came up with...yours! Hope you don't mind.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Nur-al-Cubicle said...

Hmmm....Nur, Alia, Rania, Nadjat, Yasmine, I forgot about Yasmine! I should have used that...

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries. As I was signing in at the RAWI conference (Radius of Arab WrIters) I heard someone yelling my name, turned around, realized that of course there were going to be about 20 Leilas attending. Occasionally I introduced myself as Leila 17, because I wasn't even the second or the third Leila in line.

Here's my post about the RAWI poetry reading, Kallimuna (speak to us). These poets are on fire. There's a new young generation of Arab American poets, some of whom are influenced by the poetry slam movement - all of whom are incendiary.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home